Saturday, January 24, 2009

Two Interesting Pieces from the BBC Regarding Immigration to Spain

Given that I am studying immigration law in Spain, I should be keeping my readers up to date about the issues related to my topic. A post on my research should be coming in the next month; the topic merits a long-ranging discussion of my discoveries over the last three and a half months.

In the meanwhile, I have come across two interesting pieces on the relationship between Spain and a small village in Morocco, Hansala. The first article discusses how an small Spanish NGO's co-development work with the people of Hansala has allowed the village to prosper. The second piece is a profile of a young man who immigrated to Spain from Hansala, only to see his younger brother perish in the sea when he tried to follow in his older brother's footsteps years later.

I should note that the majority of immigrants to Spain are Ecuadorians, Peruvians, Bolivians, and Argentinians; immigrants from these countries suplanted North African/Sub-Saharan immigrants as the largest immigration group in Spain around 2004-2005. Consequently, these stories reflect only a small fraction of the immigrant experience in this country.

The post on inaugural day celebration along with some photos will be up in the next two days.

No comments: