Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Commentary: Election Night 2008

Today is November 4th, election day. Many of you have asked about my plans in Madrid, so I’ll give a brief run down. The American Ambassador to Spain has invited all the Fulbrighters to an election day party at La Casa de America, an organization dedicated to promoting new world culture in Madrid. I will attend the party with the rest of the Fulbrighters before walking across the street to a party at El Circulo de Las Bellas Artes hosted by Democrats Abroad’s chapter in Madrid. Given that we will not hear about the results until 9 AM or so, it will clearly be a long, long night for the Obama supporters in the Fulbright cohort. Expect to see a post with pictures from the party sometime this week.

Parties aside, here are some of my own personal thoughts on my experience as an ex-pat watching the elections from Spain.

I have mixed feelings about living abroad during such a historical campaign in the States. Having lived in DC for two years, I was privy to a culture consumed by the campaign; a day did not pass without hearing the latest news about the Democratic primaries from hearsay from political insiders. More importantly, I would discuss the campaign with my friends and family over the phone on heard about my friend’s opinions – over the phone – on the election, keeping me grounded in the reality that exists beyond the Beltway.

Having lived in Spain for two months during the final stretch of the campaign, I can say that I feel somewhat detached from the political process. I sent in my absentee ballot, follow the news closely, and keep up with my favorite blogs. I talk with my friends and family over Gchat, AIM, and Skype. I recognize, however, that I will not see a presidential inauguration in DC or the long lines of enthusiastic voters ready to cast their lot in the election. It is very disappointing reality to tackle on this day.

That said, I have found other ways to remain engaged in this campaign. As much as people deride European’s support for Obama, I have found my European friend’s enthusiasm for a major change in the personality and policies of an Obama presidency has helped me understand the global dimensions of the campaign. As the cliché goes, it is not merely a historical election for the United States. Rather it is a campaign that has people from all walks of life in Spain and Europe on edge about the possibility of change in the States.

One small example.

I was a closeted Obama supporter for Halloween. Red tie, red striped button up shirt, khakis, moccasins, and a navy blazer adorned with a make shift McSame/Palin button. I looked like a regular in the Georgetown social scene. I affixed two Obama buttons underneath my blazer to shock and awe my friends with my ‘secret’ support for ‘that one.’

Although the costume received a lukewarm reception from the Americans, it was a big hit with the Europeans who attended a Halloween/Birthday celebration for my roommate, David. Whenever I flashed the buttons, the crowd would chant ‘yes we can’ and laugh at my button. Clearly they agreed with my evaluation of McCain’s support for Bush’s policies from the last eight years.

The positive reaction did not end at the party. On the way to a Fulbright get together, a young woman dressed as a hippie sitting across from me on the subway noticed the ‘button’ and started to laugh. I showed her the buttons and the individuals around her – a good half of the car, more of less – began chanting ‘yes we can.’ When I left the car, she asked me if I had voted. I smiled and replied ‘yes,’ an answer that brought an earnest smile to her face.

Aside from demonstrating the Obama campaign’s brilliant marketing scheme, the fact that these young people from Europe know the simplest details of this election reflects their own personal stake in the election. Clearly these desires meet ridicule and derision from certain conservatives who feel Europeans’ near unanimous support for Obama reflects Anti-American and Anti-Bush sentiments. It is a dangerously limited notion to purport to the American public, in my opinion.

These Spaniards do not support Obama out of spite for the United States. To the contrary, these individuals support Obama because they want to see a new era of international relations. More importantly, they support Obama because they feel his approach to government would promote the interests of the American people. Many Conservatives will disagree with this argument, obviously. But I find that European’s personal stake in the election reflects a deep concern about the fate of the nation and its people.

As I said before, I may not be in line waiting to cast my vote; I may not be in a bar with my friends waiting for results; and I may not be in Washington to see the Inauguration of the next president. Witnessing this support for the American people, however, has helped me feel a little more connected to the election. When one is around people who want to see his country succeed, it is hard to feel alienated from the process of change that marks each aspect of this election. Regardless of the election results, I am grateful for the opportunity to witness this support for the future of the United States; it will truly be an amazing night.

Now, let's see if a "Besame, yo vote para Obama" button will receive a positive response from the Spanish girls at these parties.